Finding a Site
Looking for a new site to expand or relocate your business? Go to Find a Site.
Permits, Licences & Regulations
Operating a business in the City of North Vancouver:
- Apply for a Business Licence
- View the Fire Safety Requirements (Food Vendors and Mobile Trucks. Also view the Fire Bylaw.
- If you are renovating or moving into a new space in the City, you may need to apply for a Building & Development Permit (types of permits include Building, Electrical, Plumbing, and Sign Permits)
- The City has several Bylaws, Policies and Guidelines that regulate specific types of businesses and help inform business owners about their responsibilities, including:
- Establishing a Child Care Facility
- Outdoor Dining Guidelines
- Street Vending Guidelines
- Automobile Service Stations and Automobile Service Garages Bylaw
- Cab Regulation Bylaw
- Commercial Vehicle Licence Bylaw
- Gasoline Stations Early Closing Bylaw
- Hotel and Public Building Inspection Bylaw
- Liquor Licence Bylaw
- Meat and Fish Bylaw
- Pet Establishment Bylaw
- Pool Room Regulations
- Shops Exemption Bylaw
- Visit the City’s website for a complete list of Bylaws
Operating a business in the District of North Vancouver:
- Apply for a Business Licence
- If you are renovating or moving into a new space in the District, you may need to apply for a Building or Building-related (Trade) Permit (types of permits include Building, Electrical, Plumbing, and Sign Permits)
- The District has several Bylaws, Policies and Guidelines that regulate specific types of businesses and help inform business owners about their responsibilities, including:
Other Permits, Licences & Regulations:
- BC Liquor Control and Licensing Branch Licences – If you are planning to open, expand or relocate your business and serve alcohol, you must ensure you have the appropriate Liquor License for your operation. This includes restaurants, catering businesses, pubs, bars, and breweries.
- Serving It Right Certification – All licensees, managers and servers who are serving alcohol are required by BC law to obtain this certification.
- BC Safety Authority Regulations & Permits – This organization regulates and permits electrical equipment and systems, oilers, refrigeration systems, and natural gas and propane appliances and systems. Regulations and permits apply to both brick-and-mortar (e.g. fixed-location store-front) and mobile businesses (e.g. food trucks).
- Vancouver Coastal Health Approval & Permits – This regional health authority provides direct and contracted health services to residents and businesses including oversight for food and water safety.
- Music Licences – Businesses are legally required to pay a licensing fee when broadcasting or playing recorded music in public. Visit one of the following authorized websites to learn more about your music licensing requirements:
Ecommerce & Distribution
Want to expand your business online? Do you need assistance with building a shopping cart, accepting payments, or shipping at discounted rates? Canada Post provides free business solutions for small, medium and large businesses.
Advocacy, Associations & Industry Peers
Retail Council of Canada – RCC is a strong advocate for retailing in Canada and works with all levels of government and other stakeholders to support employment growth and career opportunities in retail, to promote and sustain retail investments in communities from coast-to-coast, and to enhance consumer choice and industry competitiveness.