Finding a Site
Looking for a new site to expand or relocate your business? Go to Find a Site.
Permits, Licences & Regulations
Operating a business in the City of North Vancouver:
- If you are renovating or moving into a new space in the City, you may need to apply for a Building & Development Permit (types of permits include Building, Electrical, Plumbing, and Sign Permits)
- The City has several Bylaws, Policies and Guidelines that regulate specific types of businesses and help inform business owners about their responsibilities, including:
Operating a business in the District of North Vancouver:
- If you are renovating or moving into a new space in the District, you may need to apply for a Building or Building-related (Trade) Permit (types of permits include Building, Electrical, Plumbing, and Sign Permits)
- The District has several Bylaws, Policies and Guidelines that regulate specific types of businesses and help inform business owners about their responsibilities, including:
Other Permits, Licences & Regulations:
- BC Safety Authority Regulations & Permits – This organization regulates and permits electrical equipment and systems, oilers, refrigeration systems, and natural gas and propane appliances and systems. Regulations and permits apply to both brick-and-mortar (e.g. fixed-location store-front) and mobile businesses (e.g. food trucks).
- Vancouver Coastal Health Approval & Permits – This regional health authority provides direct and contracted health services to residents and businesses including oversight for food and water safety (e.g. catering services).
- Re:Sound Music Licensing Company Music Licences – Businesses are legally required to pay a licensing fee when broadcasting or playing recorded music in public. Visit one of the following authorized websites to learn more about your music licensing requirements:
- Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN)
Advocacy, Associations & Industry Peers
- North Shore Studios – As one of Canada’s leading film studio facilities, they offer 8 stages totalling 132,435 square feet plus 100,000 square feet of office space.
- North Vancouver Community Arts Council – This North Vancouver cultural organization is dedicated to maximizing the intrinsic value of the arts in all media. They hosts events, education and training, and promote art exhibitions throughout North Vancouver.
- North Vancouver Public Art Advisory Committee – This is a City of North Vancouver initiative responsible for developing policy, procedures and recommendations for the implementation of a Public Art Program for the City.
- Creative BC – This organization provides the programs, services and expertise needed to expand and diversify British Columbia’s creative industries, stimulate investment and employment in the creative sector and promote BC’s creative content and production capabilities both at home and in the global marketplace.
- Motion Picture Production Industry Association (MPPIA) – MPPIA is a member-based non-profit organization dedicated to a strong future for BC’s motion picture production sector.
- BC Film & Television Tax Credits – Visit the Government of BC’s website to learn more about tax credits and any changes to eligibility.
- Also see Arts & Culture