It’s been a long hot summer!
We’re all becoming more aware of the need to use our water wisely. That includes the water we use in our businesses.
Find out more about what you can do to be more conscious about your water use at work.
Key Resource Links
- Environment Canada
- BC Government
- City of North Vancouver
- District of North Vancouver
- City of Vancouver
- BC Landscape & Nursery Association
Water Conservation Tips for your business:
- Let people know your company is practicing water conservation. For example, place conservation information in the washrooms.
- Repair leaky toilets and faucets.
- Consider installing energy-efficient equipment such as low-flush toilets, sensor-operated faucets and urinals, and low-flow aerators.
- Thaw foods in the refrigerator, not under a running tap.
- Pre-soak utensils and dishes in basins of water, rather than in running water.
- Turn off faucets when not in use. Consider installing foot triggers or automatic shut-off devices to reduce waste.
- Operate dishwashers and glass washers only when full, replace spray heads to reduce flow.
- Consider retrofitting or replacing older refrigeration units and water-cooled air conditioners.
Dining Areas in Restaurants
- Advise customers that water will only be served when requested. The following information is distributed in many restaurants “By serving water only when you ask, we are helping to conserve our precious water resource. Every glass of water takes 3 additional glasses for washing, rinsing and chilling.”
- Only wash full loads of laundry.
- Many hotels offer patrons the choice of reusing bath towels to reduce laundering. This will reduce both water and energy costs.
- Evaluate wash formula and machine cycles for water use efficiency.
Do you have any good ideas you’d like to add to this page? Please share them with us.